Made some delicious soup yesterday found on RecipeGirl. Quick, healthy, and tasty! A needed break from my normal lentil and minestrone soup.
What you need:
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Yellow Onions, chopped
- 3 Carrots, chopped
- 3-4 Stalks of Celery, chopped
- 3 Scallions, chopped (green and white parts)
- 5-8 Cloves of Garlic, sliced thin (the more the merrier)
- One medium (of half of a large) Butternut Squash, chopped into bite sized cubes
- 2 Cups of Kale, cut or chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 can of Cannellini beans, drained and thoroughly rinsed (not pictured)
- 8 Cups of Vegetable Broth
- 4 Cups of H2O
- Salt / Pepper to taste
- Pecorino Romano cheese for serving
1. Get out a large pot, turn on the heat, and add the olive oil.
2. Add the following: the onions, carrots, celery, and scallions. Cook for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables start to lightly brown. The more you cook these, the more flavor you get.
3. Pour in the vegetable broth and water. Add the butternut squash and garlic. Once it begins boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the beans.
4. At this point, I put the cover on and let it continue to simmer. I also threw in some dried thyme and rosemary, as well as salt and pepper.
Et voila! My first bowl was so delicious I forgot that I could add cheese on top. I love kale and I loved having a sliver of garlic in almost every spoonful. As always, the soup was even better today during lunch.